Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Words of Counsel

I have been a member of a church from the time I was very small - who believes in ongoing counsel received from God. It has been an interesting concept for me to grasp as I grew into my own beliefs and thoughts on religion over the years. I won't go into what I believe and what I don't here on my blog...but back in 2000 there was counsel given to the church and I happened to read it today as I was contemplating how we as humans treat each other. This has been on my mind since the happenings down in Tucson on Saturday. I also have other struggles I have been dealing with in my mind regarding friends who are struggling to make it as a family and pull themselves out of poverty. I just wanted to share the words in case any of you needed to hear them as well. If not - at least I have documented my feelings tonight.

"Open your hearts and feel the yearnings of your brothers and sisters who are lonely, despised, fearful, neglected, unloved. Reach out in understanding, clasp their hands, and invite all to share in the blessings of community created in the name of the One who suffered on behalf of all.

Do not be fearful of one another. Respect each life journey, even in its brokenness and uncertainty, for each person has walked alone at times. Be ready to listen and slow to criticize, lest judgments be unrighteous and unredemptive.

Be patient with one another, for creating sacred community is arduous and even painful. But it is to loving community such as this that each is called. Be courageous and visionary, believing in the power of just a few vibrant witnesses to transform the world. Be assured that love will overcome the voices of fear, division, and deceit."

2 comments:

Hockey Cardboard said...

you're very spiritual lately. not that it's a bad thing, you just seem so serious!!! good for you though shel

Shazam7 said...

Yes - I know Ryan. A lot of personal stuff going on in my life. I'll try to be more fun and less serious one day ;)