I have a total of five areas on my body that have scars. I will start at the top and work my way down (
1. I have scar number 1 on top of my head - towards the front. Right in front of where a baby's soft spot is located. I say this - because I got this scar when I was a crawler. My mom had me when she was quite young - a junior in high school - and so I spent a lot of my early years with my grandparents. One morning I was with my Meme (that's my grandma...my grandpa is "Gramps"), was getting ready to fix herself a pot of coffee and she had to get the Folgers coffee can out of the top cabinet. Well, I was crawling around at her feet because I didn't want to be away from her for too long and it slipped out of her hands right onto my head. She said that she thought she had killed me because my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I passed out. They didn't have insurance on me at the time because we weren't the richest of families - so they just waited and hoped it would pass? lol Now you all know why I am the way I am.
2. Scar number two is on the left forearm - right under my elbow. I had 17 stitches. A week before I started my senior year in high school, my youth group was putting on a "water week" where we did various events that involved water. Well, one of those events was being washed off after a massive food fight!
Our only rule was that if the food was in cans - you had to completely take the lid off of the can using the can opener. Well, you know how sometimes when a person is in a hurry they just pull the lid off and it leaves a very sharp point on the top part of the can? That comes into play with this particular injury. I was running - covered in ketchup, mustard, koolaid mix, nastiness - and this other guy was running towards me with an open can of creamed corn. I put my left arm up to shield the corn from going into my face and we got too close and he cut me clear open across the elbow. I couldn't even feel it - that is how deep the cut was. I saw all the nastiness that you should never see of the inside of your arm. They sprayed me off the best they could and I changed into my "afterwards" clothes and headed to the hospital. That was a whole OTHER ordeal! I will have to blog about my hospital experience sometime. It was nutso. Anyway, I was upset about this mishap because I wanted to play volleyball in college and I thought I wasn't going to be able to play because of the stitches...luckily, I was able to convince my coach that taping it up was just fine and I got to play the whole season :-)
3. Scar number 3 is right above the belly button. It is from the piercing I used to have. With my mother's permission, I got my naval pierced for my junior prom - where I wore a two piece. It was nice while it lasted. Damn you college and all the weight you gain!
4. Most of my followers already know scar number 4's reasoning. I have about 4 scars on my right knee from my ACL replacement, meniscus repair, and meniscus scoping last March. Three surgeries rolled into one - it was lapriscopic (spelling?) though which is nice...makes the scars far less crazy.
5. The last scar is also on my right leg - it is on the outside of my right calf. It is actually 2 scars that look like little holes were drilled into my calf. When I was younger (maybe 12ish? - I may have been younger) I was riding my bike down the street and was attacked by a black lab - WHILE riding my bike. I suppose I was lucky that I was able to stay on my bike and I kept riding to my Grandma's house who was right down the street from where I lived. She wasn't home but I was able to inspect my leg which was covered in blood. I then ventured back onto my bike and took some back roads home in order to avoid the dog. My dad was home and got me into the tub to help clean up the mess. The biggest thing I remember about this injury was having to put the medicine on a cu-tip and push it down into the holes where the teeth had sunk in :S I still get chills thinking about that one. It's kind of crazy that I am not afraid of dogs and don't ever remember being afraid of them - even after that incident. I'm glad too because I LOVE LOVE LOVE my little Jasper. :-)
There you have it - scars from the body of Shelby.