Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Camp Ziyoca 2010


Well, it has been a while since I've posted a blog update so here we go. I figured camp was the appropriate topic for right now - I can't believe it is already only a month and a half away! I'm such a horrible camp director! So far I have a few committed counselors yet many many spots to fill as far as activity planning wise. I hope to get more commitment now that we are down to the wire.

I recently found out that my main campfire leader/talent show organizer/P.R.U.N.E. Radio organizer may not be there this year. If he isn't there - that also means that his fiancĂ© will be missing as well which means I also need to fill the Banquet organizer spot! Ugh! I would step up and help with some of this but I really have very little creative bones in my body and they would not turn out that great at all. There's also the problem that we can never get a camp nurse and that is definitely a requirement from World Headquarters - double ugh!

All will work out in the end. I realize what I really need to sit myself down and do is have a little heart to heart with God and see the true direction he wants to lead us down. Facts are facts - camps have been getting smaller...we have been losing money as our budget is never hit...we just can't keep going like this. It is hard as a director because camp costs keep going up as the campground fees increase and we get fewer campers each year and I KNOW this is financially difficult on many of the campers' families and therefore some can't come. I want us to start growing again. When I was younger our camp was so strong and vibrant and over the years it just started to dwindle. It seems like everyone is getting busy over the summer and moving out of the district and their kids aren't coming to camp due to these facts. I just wish I could get us all together and remind everyone of the spirit of the camp and how God truly does bless everyone who meets on the mountain.

This year's theme is B.O.O.T Camp (Building on our traditions) as I would really like to focus on the traditions we have at camp as well as the traditions of the campgrounds and on a higher level, the traditions of the Church. It is imperative that we educate our youth and let them in on all that has been special to those of us who have grown up at the campgrounds in order for them to stay alive.

Anyway, that is my rambling thus far about camp. I love it - my favorite week of every year. I cannot wait to see all the campers gathering in June and I can't wait to meet with the counselors that I have become so close with. I pray that God helps us make this one week out of the year the most special/spirit-filled week for each and every camper and that the Spirit we send them off with at the end of the week is contagious and they can remember that feeling for a whole year until they come back in 2011 WITH all of their friends.

I will end with the lyrics of my favorite campfire song:
Pass It On
words by Kurt Kaiser


          It only takes a spark to get a fire going, And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing; That's how it is with God's Love, Once you've experienced it, You spread the love to everyone You want to pass it on. What a wondrous time is spring, When all the tress are budding The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming; That's how it is with God's love, Once you've experienced it. You want to sing, it's fresh like spring, You want to pass it on. I wish for you my friend This happiness that I've found; You can depend on God It matters not where you're bound, I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD! I want the world to know The Lord of love has come to me I want to pass it on. I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD! I want the world to know The Lord of love has come to me I want to pass it on.



No comments: